The holiday season is the perfect time to whip up some delightful Christmas Sugar Cookies that are not only easy to make but also require just a handful of ingredients. Whether you’re a seasoned baker or a beginner, this easy-to-follow recipe is sure to become a festive favorite. In this guide, we’ll walk you through the process of creating Recipes for Special Events – soft and buttery Christmas sugar cookies with a few simple steps and easily accessible ingredients.
Christmas Sugar Cookies Recipe:
Soft and thick centers with slightly crisp edges, these Christmas Sugar Cookies boast an irresistible buttery vanilla flavor. Made from straightforward ingredients, these cookies can be left plain or flavored with extras like maple, cinnamon, or peppermint. The dough holds its shape while baking, making it ideal for creating festive shapes. The icing is not only manageable for young bakers and beginners but also freezes beautifully for future use. This recipe is a go-to for both beginner and expert bakers alike.
Ingredients for Christmas Sugar Cookies Dough:
- 1 cup of creamed butter
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Cream the Butter and Sugar:
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the Wet Ingredients:
- Beat in the egg, vanilla extract, and optional almond extract until well combined.
- Combine the Dry Ingredients:
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix the Dough:
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until a soft dough forms.
- Chill the Dough:
- Divide the dough in half and wrap each portion in plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for 1–2 hours or up to 2 days.
- Preheat the Oven:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll and Cut:
- Roll out the chilled dough on a floured surface before cutting out desired shapes using festive cookie cutters.
- Place the cut-out cookies on prepared baking sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tips for Success:
- Ensure the butter is at proper room temperature for optimal creaming.
- Chilling the cookie dough is mandatory for maintaining shape during baking.
- The icing recipe needs at least 24 hours to dry and set.
Read more, click here to learn more about the Cake Decorating Ideas
Cookie Icing Recipe
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Gel food coloring (optional)
- Prepare the Icing:
- In a bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Color the Icing:
- Divide the icing into separate bowls and tint each bowl with gel food coloring as desired.
- Use a squeeze bottle or piping tips to decorate the cooled cookies with the colored icing.
- Allow to Set:
- Let the icing dry for at least 24 hours before stacking, freezing, or transporting the cookies.
Which tools we can use for Christmas sugar cookies:
- Electric Mixer (stand mixer or handheld)
- Baking Sheets
- Parchment or Baking Mats
- Rolling Pin
- Cookie Cutters
- Gel Food Coloring (recommended)
- Squeeze Bottle
Additional Baking Tools:
Consider investing in these suggested baking tools and resources for making your Christmas sugar cookies:
- Cooling Racks
- Silicone Baking Mat
- Festive Sprinkles and Decorations
- Cookie Press for Uniform Shapes
With this easy Christmas sugar cookie recipe, you can create delicious treats with minimal effort and ingredients. Whether you’re baking with family or trying your hand at cookie decorating, these cookies are a festive addition to any holiday gathering. Enjoy the joy of Food and Dieting, baking, and sharing these delightful Christmas sugar cookies with your loved ones. Happy holidays!